Teacher's "Rainbow" Curriculum
"There's A Rainbow On My Plate"
Our class is working on a fun and exciting health unit called "There's a Rainbow on My Plate."
The activities in this unit are teaching us important lessons about fruits and vegetables, and the role they play in maintaining good health. Sponsored by the Produce for Better Health Foundation, Dole Food Company, and the Crayola® brand,"There's a Rainbow on My Plate" is packed with fun, educational activities that motivate young students to eat more fruits and vegetables. Poor fruit and vegetable intake is a problem for many kids in the U.S.A.
- Fewer than 15 percent of elementary students eat the recommended 5 or more servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
- Average fruit and vegetable intake among 6-11 year olds is only 3.5 servings a day.
- Over half of all elementary students eat no fruit on any given day.
- Three out of 10 elementary students eat less than one serving of vegetables a day.
- One quarter of all vegetables eaten by elementary students are French fries.